Losing the weight and gaining it back does nothing to solve the long-term problems that come with obesity, but bariatric surgery could be an excellent option for you. Keeping the weight off for at least five years is considered a success and the result is a happier, healthier, more active, and engaged YOU!
These are other benefits of bariatric surgery that go beyond weight loss that are just as important to get excited about.
Unexpected Benefits of Bariatric Surgery Beyond Weight Loss
- Remission for type 2 diabetes: Studies show that procedures are highly effective for obese patients with type 2 diabetes, allowing almost all patients to remain free of insulin and other related medications after surgery.
- Improved heart health: Weight loss surgery decreases a person’s risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and heart disease. Studies also show that weight loss achieved from surgery can help prevent strokes and hypertension. Blood pressure and cholesterol levels can return to normal, or near-normal after surgery, improving overall well-being.
- Depression relief: Many obese people experience depression because of poor body image and lack of energy, activity, and social interaction, even younger people. Losing excess weight can improve overall emotional health.
- Eliminate sleep apnea: Achieving and sustaining a normal weight range often allows people with sleep apnea to stop using a CPAP machine at bedtime.
- Relief of joint pain: Excessive weight puts a lot of stress on your weight-bearing joints, causing chronic pain and joint damage. The significant and sustained weight loss that occurs after bariatric surgery relieves the stress on joints and often allows people to stop using pain medications and enjoy much more mobility.
- Improve fertility. Weight loss surgery can also improve fertility during the childbearing years. Bariatric surgery can improve menstrual cycles in women who don’t ovulate.
Bariatric Surgery: Unlocking the Keys to a Healthier Life
With obesity and its associated health complications, bariatric surgery certainly represents a powerful tool for providing sustained relief for overweight people. The difference in the quality of life is unmeasurable! Taking the steps necessary to have such a life-changing surgery is calculated and planned out wisely.
It’s important to choose a doctor and facility that’s knowledgeable, experienced, and trusted in performing these procedures effectively. The pre and post-surgery care are just as important as the surgery and Dr. Joseph and his staff are trained, experienced, and ready to help you discover the quality of life you desire!
To schedule a consultation and see if you’re a good candidate for surgery visit this link, fill out the info and our nurse will be in touch with the next steps. We’re like a family at the Weight Loss Center at United Surgical Associates and are passionate about helping you.
RELATED: Learn more about the Orbera Stomach Balloon for weight loss.
Bariatric surgery has been shown to improve health problems related to severe obesity such as diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol. A 2013 study found that adults with severe obesity had substantial weight loss and significant improvements in these health problems three years after undergoing either RYGB or LAGB. However, the study also noted that results varied among participants.
Yes, bariatric surgery can save your life. Studies have shown that obese patients who have bariatric surgery live longer than those who do not. Furthermore, it is becoming a popular choice for those looking for meaningful weight loss. With its proven benefits, bariatric surgery is a medical solution that can truly transform your life.