Weight loss surgery can produce sustainable weight loss in obese people who have not achieved long-term success with other weight loss plans. If you deal with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and a high BMI, you could be a candidate. The long-term effects are beyond just weight loss. The physical and mental ways you evolve are life-changing and improve your quality of life as long as you stay the course.
7 benefits of weight loss surgery that go beyond just losing weight:
- Long-term remission for type 2 diabetes. One study reported that bariatric surgery causes long-term remission of type 2 diabetes. The results of this study show the procedure is highly effective for obese patients with type 2 diabetes, allowing almost all patients to remain free of insulin and other related medications for at least three years after surgery.
- Improved cardiovascular health. Weight loss surgery decreases a person’s risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and peripheral heart disease. Plus, one study even reported that the weight loss achieved from the surgery can help prevent the risk of death associated with stroke, hypertension, and myocardial infarction. Blood pressure and cholesterol levels can return to normal, or near normal after surgery, reducing these risks and improving overall well-being.
- Relief of depression. Many obese people feel depressed because of poor body image and social stigma. Even younger people who carry significant excess weight find it difficult to participate in activities they might otherwise enjoy, leading to social isolation and depression. Losing this excess weight can improve the emotional health of these patients. It was found that people who underwent bariatric surgery had a 32.7% decrease in depression at the time of surgery and a 16.5% decrease six to 12 months after surgery.
- Eliminate obstructive sleep apnea. Achieving and sustaining a normal weight range often allows people with sleep apnea to stop using a CPAP machine at bedtime. About 80 to 85% of patients experience remission of their sleep apnea one year after surgery.
- Joint pain relief. Carrying around excessive weight puts a lot of stress on your weight-bearing joints, often causing chronic pain and joint damage. The significant and sustained weight loss that occurs after bariatric surgery relieves the stress on joints and often allows people to stop using pain medications and enjoy much more mobility.
- Improve fertility. Weight loss surgery can also improve fertility during the childbearing years. One study reported that the risk of miscarriage may decline after bariatric surgery and can improve menstrual cycles in women who don’t ovulate.
- Alleviate other medical conditions. Weight loss surgery can also relieve metabolic syndrome, pregnancy complications, gallbladder disease, and more.
With obesity and its associated health complications rising at an alarming rate, bariatric surgery certainly represents a powerful tool for providing sustained relief for overweight people. When making this decision, it’s important to choose a facility with extensive experience in performing these procedures.
If you want to take care of your obesity once and for all, call our office to schedule your free consultation. Our specialists are ready to help you navigate this life-changing choice!
We have 3 locations in the Kansas City area
➡ Independence – Near Centerpoint Hospital: 19101 B Valley View Parkway, Independence, MO 64055 – Directly across the street from Costco
➡ Lee’s Summit – Lee’s Summit Medical Center: 2100 SE Blue Pkwy, Suite 120, Lee’s Summit, MO 64063
➡ Kansas City – St. Joseph Medical Center: 1000 Carondelet Drive, Suite 203B, Kansas City, MO 64114
💻 Calculate your BMI https://kc-weightloss.com
💻 Learn more about what we offer https://kc-weightloss.com/procedures/
💻 Schedule your consultation online now https://kc-weightloss.com/contact-us/